International Agri-Professional Development Institute (IADI) Merchandising School
Introduction to Commodity Markets, Merchandising and Risk Management
The IADI Merchandising School examines commodity merchandising principles with emphasis on:
- PRICE RISK: Assessment and Management
- FUNDAMENTALS: Supply, Demand and Price Analysis
- CROP PRODUCTION AND WEATHER
- HEDGING: Futures, Options and OTC Derivatives
- TECHNICAL TRADING FACTORS
- MARGIN MANAGEMENT: Merchandisers and Processors
- BASIS BEHAVIOR: Cash and Futures Influence
- TRANSPORTATION CONSIDERATIONS: Rail, Truck and Barge
- GOVERNMENT PROGRAMS
Our goal is provide each student with an understanding of merchandising principles, market fundamentals and strategy alternatives to make a measurable contribution to his or her company.
Each student should gain an understanding of commodity market structures and impacts, plus the importance of each link in the value chain.
Students can begin immediately to incorporate this new-found knowledge into day-to-day job responsibilities for greater productivity.
You will learn:
- Basic merchandising and risk management fundamentals
- How cash and derivative markets work; how those markets impact basis levels
- Futures market price spreads and their relationship to basis levels
- Supply/demand analysis, price discovery and risk management
- Transportation factors and developments impacting basis trading
Who Should Attend?
- Anyone with job responsibilities in the following areas, whether a seasoned employee or a new hire:
- Commodity Merchandising, Trading and/or Processing
- Commodity Investors and Traders
- Finance/Auditing in Food and Agribusiness
- Commodity and Ingredient Purchasing
- Commodity Market Analysis
- Transportation and Logistics
- Supply, Demand Analysis and Forecasting